More Scrap Mechanic Guides:
- Amateur Survival Tips!
- All Recipes Guide (Survival Mode).
- How to Enable Cheats (Survival Mode).
- Where to Find Items / Materials (Survival Mode).
- Transport Guide for Caged Man (Survival Mode).
- Modifying Craft Recipes Guide.
- Fast Refining Guide.
This guide involves editing the data of Scrap Mechanic! If you break your game while following this guide, that’s your fault. I also do not recommend editing any of the files for your own gain (Example: hacking for all the clothing items)
Note: This currently only works for flat worlds, so apologies if your build is on a terrain/custom world.
How to Save a Static Build (Built on Ground) into Your Lift
Step 1: Knowing Where Your Game’s Location Is
- First thing to do is open up Task Manager while steam is running, then right click on “Steam Client Bootstrapper” and click “Open file location”, this will open up File Explorer.
- Once there, scroll up till you see a folder called “steamapps”, open it. Then open a folder called “common” and you should see a folder called “Scrap Mechanic”, open that up.
- Once in there, open the folder called “Data”. Here is where all the files and content of Scrap Mechanic are located, but we only want to worry about a folder called “Scripts”, open it up once you find it.
- You should see 3 folders, but we only want one called “game”, open it up.
- Don’t mind any of the .lua files here, just open up the folder called “terrain”.
- Now we are at the location where the game creates the terrain on the worlds, we are only focusing on the terrain_flat.lua file, do not MESS WITH THE OTHER ONES; open the file and your computer might say what program to use, choose notepad.
Step 2: Editing the File (Only Do What I Say or Something will Break)
- Alrighty, now that we are here, we can start to use our hacker skills. There are confusing things in here, but we only want a part called “getHeightAt”. (You can use Ctrl+f and search getHeightAt)
- Once you’ve found it, you’ll see something that says “return 0”, yeah we do not want 0. Change it to -1 (thats all, just change it to -1)
- After you did this, look up at the top left of the notepad program and you’ll see something that says “File”, click it and press “save”
- Once you did this, DO NOT CLOSE THE FILE, just return to the game and open up just the world you want to get your build, this can make any and all worlds that are flat drop any static builds.
Step 3: Getting Your Build
- Once you load in, you’ll notice something strange and cool. All the static builds are hovering above the ground. but just go to the build you want to save.
- Place 1 random block on it and it should fall down, then just pick it up with the lift and save it.
- Now you have what you wanted, YAY!
- We now need to find some high ground, build a platform that is a few blocks off the ground and hop onto it.
- Pause and exit to the menu, no need to close the game.
- Go back to the file you opened up and change -1 back to 0.
- Save the file and go back to your save, the ground is back to normal!