Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War has been out since November 13, and millions of players are checking out the new game. A new game release of this magnitude does not come without a few issues and technical difficulties. One of these problems is causing players to get booted from games and sent back to the game’s main screen. We have some tips and tricks you can try to fix Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War’s crashing and freezing issues.
How to fix Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Freezing and Crashing
The solutions are different depending on which platform you are using. Black Ops Cold War is out on all major platforms, including PC, Xbox, and PlayStation. We’ll walk you through the steps to resolve the issue on each of the platforms.
Xbox users are experiencing issues in the Multiplayer mode. Problems arise at the end of a game or in the lobby before a match starting. Some players report their game crashing, sending them back to the Xbox home screen. If this is the case for you, try the following tips:
- Check for updates and restart your Xbox.
- Make sure your Xbox is not overheating.
- Press and hold the power button until it powers down to clear the cache.
We recommend following this procedure before moving on to other solutions. If you try all of the above steps, and your game is still crashing, it may be a network issue causing problems. You can try clearing the Alternate MAC Address to restart the console. Here are the steps as per the official Xbox guide:
- Press the Xbox button
- Move right to the System Tab
- Scroll down and select Settings
- Scroll down to Network
- Select Network Settings
- Scroll down and select Advanced Settings
- Scroll down and select Alternate MAC Address
- Select the Clear button
- Select the Restart button.
PlayStation users are reporting specific error codes, specifically Error Code CE-34878-0. When playing Black Ops Cold War, the game will freeze and crash, sending users back to the PlayStation main menu. You can try the following solution:
- Check for PlayStation Updates, and restart the system.
- Make sure the console is not overheating.
- Clear the cache by unplugging the PlayStation’s power cord for 30 seconds while it’s powered down.
Some players report that this solution has stopped their Black Ops Cold War from freezing and crashing in the middle of games. If issues persist, you can try the Activision support page for BOCW.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War may crash when in the middle of a Multiplayer match. It can also occur when entering into a lobby and searching for a match. The result could be the game freezing and crashing entirely. Here are some fixes you could try:
- Ensure your video card drivers are up to date.
- Make sure your GPU is not overheating.
- Close any unnecessary applications taking up computer resources.
- Verify the integrity of Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War.
Read more: Black Ops Cold War Low FPS Fix (PC)